Building a new website is exciting, but this is a process that comes with numerous challenges. Google’s SERPs have become extremely overcrowded, making it difficult for new sites to get themselves noticed.
If you don’t start working on your online exposure across multiple channels from the very beginning, your website traffic will suffer.
Here are a few tactics and tools that will help you boost your new site’s traffic.
1. Optimize Your Site For the Right Keywords
Before you even invest in a keyword research tool and start your analysis, keep in mind that this process is not all about finding popular phrases and adding them to your content. You need to pay attention to a wide range of factors, such as your current rankings, the volume of the keyword, its competitiveness, etc.
Most importantly, you need to get to know your buyer personas – who they are, what keywords they use, and what their search intent is (what kind of results they expect to see when they google something). This is particularly important in the era of mobile and voice searches, where users communicate with search engines naturally.
Namely, voice searchers are focused on finding the information relevant to them. They use entire sentences and questions find sites relevant to them, especially ones in their vicinity. For example, if you’re a plumber in the Gold Coast, you will want to appear in front of relevant audiences in that location.
Apart from optimizing your site for some local keywords like “plumbers gold coast” you will also want to target long-tail like “cheap plumbers near me” or questions like “What are the best plumbers in the Gold Coast?”
This is where you should consider consulting a local SEO Gold Coast agency that can align your keyword optimization with the demands of the local market.
Keep in mind that we’re living in the mobile-first and voice-driven era, where users don’t rely on exact-match keywords anymore. They use conversational phrases, questions, and even whole sentences to find what they’re looking for.
To identify long-tail keywords for your site, here are some additional tools that may help you:
- Google Trends – you can search for a specific keyword and see how its popularity is growing or simply go to “related queries” and find new keywords.
- Serpstat – even though it’s not a traditional keyword research tool, it can help you assess the competitiveness of your keywords. Go to its Competitors Graph to see who’s competing for your target keywords. If you see big industry players on the list, you’ll know it’s time to find a new keyword.
- Buzzsumo lets you filter trending topics and see what people search for.
- Answer the Public uses Google and Bing searches to predict what users are going to ask.
- Google’s SERPs features like its autocomplete, answer boxes, or People Also Ask let you discover long-tail keywords and understand your searchers’ needs.
2. Create Captivating Content
It’s almost impossible to drive traffic to your site without creating catchy, insightful, and high-quality content. The good thing is that you’re starting from scratch, meaning that you don’t have loads of old, low-quality or outdated content you need to refurbish.
Keep in mind that your visitors are looking for highly informative content that will teach them something new or help them solve specific problems.
Therefore, focus on the quality and not the quantity of the content you produce. A single comprehensive guide or tutorial is worth more than dozens of short and generic articles published daily.
Here are a few tips on how to create content that generates more traffic:
- Crete long-form content. According to Backlinko, longer blog posts outperform their short counterparts. The average length of content on Google’s first page of the SERPs is around 1.890 words. Most importantly, expert insight like ultimate guides, comprehensive checklists, interviews, case studies, or eBooks are linked to and shared as relevant resources.
- Experiment with the types of content. Not everyone likes reading lengthy textual content. Focus on diversifying your content strategy. Create infographics, videos, nice charts, and lists, podcast episodes – these are all catchy types of content that help you drive greater traffic. Visual, video, and audio content usually generate more shares, increasing your brand visibility and traffic.
- Syndicate your content on Medium, Inbound, Business 2 Community and similar authoritative sites. You can basically copy-paste your entire article, but don’t do that. Instead, republish a small portion of your article and add a link to your blog post to inspire a user to visit your site and find out more.
- Write attention-grabbing headlines using power words. Make them concise, but strong to stick out in the SERPs and entice a user to click on them.
3. Optimize Your Presence On Social
You need to be where your customers are and that’s social networks. This is an amazing opportunity to humanize your brand and build personal relationships with your customers. Most importantly, you can reach out to wider groups of people and generate more traffic to your site.
However, to do so, you need to optimize your social presence strategically.
- Get the most out of your content shares. When promoting new blog posts or products, don’t write generic descriptions like: “Check out our new blog post!” Instead, add powerful content to your social shares that will grab people’s attention and inspire them to click on your link. This is something all digital marketing influencers like Brian Dean or Neil Patel do to engage audiences and boost click-through rates.
- Know when to share your content. This depends on your target audience and the platform you’re publishing on. For example, on Instagram, the best time to share your content is somewhere between 8 AM and 9 AM, while your content on Facebook will gain more views when shared at 3 PM. Use social media management tools to automate these practices and optimize your posts’ reach.
- Make your content easy to share. Add social buttons both at the bottom of your blog post, as well as floating social sidebars to enable your visitors to share your posts effortlessly. You should also add “Click to Tweet” links to make prominent statistics and facts from the article shareable.
4. Work With Industry Influencers
Influential people in your niche have a massive following and impeccable online authority. People trust them and listen to their advice before making purchasing decisions. Most importantly, having them promote your content is an amazing way to put yourself in front of wider audiences, as well as gain their trust.
Now, there are many ways to work with influencers:
- Connect with popular bloggers in your niche, propose an interesting guest post idea, and ask whether they’re interested in publishing your guest article on their site. This is an opportunity to link back to your blog content. Most importantly, they will promote the guest article on their social media profiles, boosting your traffic and exposure.
- Interview influential people in your niche or cite them in your industry whitepapers. Once the article is live, let them know about it, and inspire them to share it with their audiences.
- Host online giveaways and contests and team with an influencer to promote them. Contests are a great way to attract new customers and retain loyal ones and engage them. Most importantly, during the contest, your traffic will skyrocket, parallel with your backlinks and social shares.
- Send your top products to an influencer and ask them to review them in their blog posts or on social networks. Yet another exceptional method of boosting traffic and industry relevance.
Over To You
Building your online presence from zero is not easy. You’re competing with strong industry players that are already dominating the digital landscape. However, this doesn’t mean you should give up. Turn this situation to your advantage. Always focus on engaging customers, building relationships with them, and providing high-quality content and services.
Most importantly, these are just some of the numerous tactics to implement. Experiment with your strategy, test it regularly to find the traffic generation methods that work for you and tweak your efforts accordingly.
Hope this helps!
Editor’s Note: This article is part of the blog series Start Your Business brought to you by the marketing team at UniTel Voice, the virtual phone system priced and designed for startups and small business owners.