As a startup, you can’t waste time or money on marketing activities that don’t help you get more leads. That’s why lead attribution is critical.
Simply put, lead attribution is an approach to determine which marketing activities deserve credit for attracting potential customers.
How can you get started?
We’ve compiled a shortlist of the top seven lead attribution tools for startups. Put them to work on your website and gain powerful insights into which marketing tactics drive sales.
The 7 Best Lead Attribution Tools for 2023
Before diving into these top tools, let’s review the three primary types of lead attribution:
- First-Touch Attribution: This approach attributes the first identified interaction with your company.
- Last-Touch Attribution: This approach ties the lead to the last measured interaction before the prospect becomes a customer.
- Multi-Touch Attribution: With this approach, the revenue from a lead is attributed to multiple marketing activities.
While Google Analytics can provide perspective on last and first-touch attribution, using third-party lead attribution software can give you a broader look at multi-touch attribution.
The best-in-class tools below can help you get the end-to-end lead attribution insight you need to make better marketing decisions.
Let’s get started.
A customer data platform, Sona helps you understand how people become customers from the first click to conversion. It collects user data across touchpoints to give you a clear view of lead attribution.
Here’s the scoop on some of Sona’s standout features:
- Unique Attribution Codes: You’ll gain a Sona Advanced Attribution code that you can apply to your web and mobile touchpoints. Once your code is in place, you’ll start automatically collecting data on user behavior.
- Identity Resolution: Sona empowers you to keep tabs on individual users’ activities, even if they use multiple devices to access your site. Also, Sona updates user records when someone shifts from an anonymous to a known state.
- Event and User Data Integration: Sona automatically links actions people perform on your web or mobile site with their unique profiles. That way, you’ll know which clicks or pages ultimately lead prospects to become customers.
2. Keyword Hero
Keyword Hero is a helpful tool that helps you get more out of Google Analytics.
Specifically, Keyword Hero maps the organic search terms people use to find your site to their sessions in Google Analytics. Each session is the amount of time a user is active on your site and can include multiple page views or actions.
How does Keyword Hero work? In a nutshell, the tool uncovers keyword data and presents it in your existing Google Analytics dashboard using these three steps:
- Data Gathering: Keyword Hero pulls data from nine sources to have a sound basis for its analysis.
- Data Analysis: Using sophisticated artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML), Keyword Hero statistically matches keyword phrases to sessions.
- Data Upload: After analysis, Keyword Hero uploads data into a new Google Analytics view (called a property) so that you can review its findings in a familiar setting.
Thanks to Keyword Hero, you can better understand which keywords draw people to your site and motivate them to buy.
Attribution can get tricky once you start running multi-channel campaigns. But Rockerbox can give you a clear view of your marketing data so that you know what’s driving traffic and sales.
In addition to understanding digital channels — like social and email — Rockerbox gives you insight into offline channels. That means you’ll know the impact of tactics like TV and direct mail on conversions.
Rockerbox provides in-depth analytics to help you assess every aspect of your marketing:
- Attribution Modeling: Need to assess first-touch, last-touch, or multi-touch attribution? Want to apply machine learning for even more granular insights? Rockerbox can deliver.
- Path to Conversion: Explore where your leads originate and how long it takes them to become customers. Use this insight to pinpoint opportunities to accelerate time to conversion.
The MonsterInsights plugin brings your site’s Google Analytics data into your WordPress Dashboard. That means you can get an overview of your website traffic and trends without having to click out of WordPress.
Here’s some of the value you get by installing MonsterInsights:
- Easy Tracking: With just a few clicks, you can set up web tracking across multiple devices and campaigns.
- Real-Time Insight: You can know which users are active on your site and see what actions they take at any time.
- Ad and Affiliate Link Tracking: Understand exactly which links and ads draw traffic and motivate people to buy from your site.
- Page Analytics: Get a deep dive into each web page’s performance to identify popular pages and ones that drive conversions. You can also set up tracking for authors, tags, and post types to know how your blog posts tie to sales.
Databox is a dashboard tool that does much more than help you visualize data. The true power of Databox is that it pulls all your marketing performance data into one central location. You can create goals, calculate conversion rates and return on investment (ROI), and easily get alerts.
Instead of having to scout through different tools and websites to assess lead attribution insight, you can have a single, up-to-date source of truth. Databox makes this happen by integrating with top social and marketing tools, including:
- Social networks like Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Search tools like Google Analytics, SEMRush, Moz, and Ahrefs.
- Payment & e-commerce platforms like Stripe, WooCommerce, PayPal, and Shopify.
- Website & email marketing tools like Hubspot, Mailchimp, Drift, and Campaign Monitor.
To get started, add data from 70+ Databox integrations and select from 200+ prebuilt reports.
Zoho helps you understand the path people take on their way to becoming your customers. In fact, Zoho provides visual lead-tracking tools that help you see how and when leads make progress.
With Zoho, you can customize reports that let you know how people landed on your site and what inspired them to convert:
- Attribution Reports: See what brought people to your website and what pages prompted them to convert.
- Behavior Reports: Learn how leads navigate through your website or app, what actions they take, and how often they achieve the conversion goals you’ve set. Also, find out how many anonymous, known, and recurring visitors you get each day.
- Multi-Channel Marketing Reports: Gain comprehensive insight on three crucial digital channels: email, social, and SMS. You can study everything from opens, clicks, likes, and shares to geolocation data.
Zoho does more than report on marketing data. It helps you build on those insights to construct high-powered campaigns to drive results.
A multi-faceted inbound marketing, sales, and customer service solution, HubSpot can support your lead attribution efforts. Through HubSpot’s Marketing Analytics & Dashboard software, you can analyze your marketing activities with dashboards and reports. HubSpot pulls all your CRM and marketing data into one place for easy analysis.
Through Hubspot, you can generate two types of detailed attribution reports:
- Revenue Attribution: This Lets you understand how your marketing efforts impact revenues. You can attribute revenues to specific sources, interactions, content, and more.
- Contact Attribution: This shows you how new contacts added to your customer relationship management (CRM) tie to your marketing activities. This feature records revenues in customer contact records.
One thing to keep in mind: You need to upgrade to Hubspot’s Professional or Analytics package to gain access to lead attribution functionality. At a start price of $800 per month, this doesn’t come cheap. But it does unlock other features so that the investment can pay off.
Put Lead Attribution to Work for Your Business
Let’s face it: Marketing gets expensive quickly. And you need to invest in tactics that pull leads into your business.
That’s why you need lead attribution solutions for your startup. These tools let you know which marketing activities generate web traffic and leads. You can also see which pages and promotions on your site drive sales.
Our top seven lead attribution tools offer a range of price points and functionality. Select the ones that work for you.
Editor’s Note: Want more handpicked content that’ll help you build your business? Subscribe to our monthly newsletter.